Saturday, January 28, 2012

Does She "Deserve" A Ring?


@Al_Patron asked a very GOOD question in a blog that we did together and it had me thinking so hard about a response. Especially because I hear it ALL the time and have even SAID it myself.

He asked “...can someone tell me what “she DESERVES a ring” means?”

Now, I'm not going to tell you what it MEANS cuz dammit, I'm just figuring this out myself, but I'm going to provoke some thoughts for you...

Now maybe my point of view seems biased a lot of the time because I forget that there are people who read my work that aren't plagued with the bullshit men and relationships that I know of all too well. So some people read my words and think “o_O where the hell does she get this stuff from?” But then I get a whole bunch of Rts and say “Whew, they feel me.” lol

SO, in almost every circumstance that I've heard “she deserves a ring” it was from someone referring to the amount of “torture”, disappointment”, “drama”, and just a whole bunch of “bullshit” that a woman had endured in the relationship with her man. And sometimes it was even the man himself saying “she deserves a ring”... My first thoughts are “yea, she deserves a ring” but “from HIM?”... Hell NO. Why would you “DESERVE” a ring from someone who was a BASTARD? I mean really! O_o She “deserves” a ring because she tolerated him cheating numerous times? She “deserves” a ring because she took care of their children full time while he slacked? She “deserves” a ring because she still stayed with him after he had another child with someone else? She “deserves” a ring because he gave her an STD a time or two or five? She “deserves” a ring because of all the abortions or miscarriages she had from him? She “deserves” a ring because they've been together for “no reason” for forever already? She “deserves” a ring because she held him down while he was in and out of jail? She “deserves” a ring because she risked her freedom for him numerous times? She “deserves” a ring because she had to fight with so many other girls over him? She “deserves” a ring because she put her education and career to the side to support his? She “deserves” a ring because she forgave him all the times he hit her? She “deserves” a ring because she put up with all his baby mama drama? She “deserves” a ring because she wasted her “youth” dealing with his bullshit so now her “prime” is over and she feels like she has no choice but to stay with him now? So THIS is why she “DESERVES” a ring?

I could have SWORN that “deserve” means “to have earned right”...Oh yea it does, I just looked it up again cuz I was confused. So THIS is what you want the “rights” to? This is what you're in competition to “win”??? Oh! And the crazy part about this is, I hear this “she deserves a ring” ALLLLL the time from people who've been involved in these exact scenarios. I don't make this shit up. So if this is what you feel you DESERVE for the rest of your life, then shit, maybe your ass does. I don't think anyone “deserves” a ring for all of those reasons. Females always seem so bent on “winning” that they don't even realize what the actual “prize” is. Cuz I damn sure don't want to “win” a man like that. Have I had men like that? Yes. But I KNEW not to marry them. And men always seem to pull the “ring” as a wild card right when she's about to “leave.” Anything to shut her ass up and extent his ride or die bitch until next “Foreverary.” I've heard so many men say “She's put up with so much of my shit. This is who I need to be with”... Uhm yea... she's perfect for HIM but is he perfect for HER? Don't Worry, I'll Wait

But its really not these type of women that I feel deserve a ring at all... They deserve intervention and rehab. I'm going to tell you who I think really deserves the ring.

I think the females who invest in themselves in order to have something to offer a man who's worth marrying “deserve” a ring. Not the women waiting around for a husband as a come up. The females who could care less about a pre-nup because she's going to make sure they BOTH make money during their marriage “deserve” a ring. The females who make a statement by immediately removing herself from a disrespectful situation. She knows her worth and is not going to waste her time convincing herself that this is acceptable at all. The females who don't think and act like she is entitled to anyone else's benefits “deserves” a ring. The females who understand that NO one is obligated to her “deserves” a ring. Females who are appreciative and grateful “deserve” a ring. Females who acknowledge that if they can't help with a solution then they may be part of the problem “deserve” a ring. The females who moderately stand by their partner yet who never give up on themselves “deserve” a ring. The females who prepare for the fact that all of this could go “poof” in the blink of eye but they have back up plans just in case it ever happens, “deserve” a ring. Even the females who don't like to cook and don't want to cook but knows that eating out every night is just unreasonable, “deserve” a ring. The females who understand their role in a man's life and won't try to play every position “deserve” a ring. The females who CAN and will carry a man if he falls and won't hold it against him later or kick him while he's down “deserve” a ring. And last but not least, the female who is genuinely optimistic about love and marriage as a team with no ulterior motives, hidden agendas, or dependency as an underlying theme, “deserve” a ring.

Now of COURSE, there's more to being a “wife” than all of these things. But in my opinion these are some of the most “important” the qualities of a woman who “DESERVES” a ring, beyond being able to cook, clean, wash clothes, take care of kids, and have disgustingly pleasurable sex. These are characteristics of women who have worked on themselves mentally, emotionally and financially enough to be able to “deserve” someone worth spending the rest of her life with. I personally feel that you can't expect someone else to invest more in you than you are WILLING to invest in yourself. And half of the things that I mentions are FREE... Its about character and intention not only money.

So as for me... until I'm able to carry my family on my own if ever need be, I'm going to stay “single with a boyfriend” and kid less. 

34 comments:

  1. Preach!!! I'm ready for you to write a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Cutty! Work bitch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said my thoughts perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, I am going to forward this to my homegirl.. Even though. She won't pay too much attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I ... this is so perfect. Well done Ms. Cutty. If I had a nickel for every time I heard this phrase, in reference to a situation as described in the first half of this piece? You laid this out so eloquently. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im married and as a married woman I agree with you 100%! You really should consider being a life coach your words are truthful, raw and inspiring!!! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. You speak nothing but the truth on everything. please write a book, magazine , something so every woman can read your blogs.

    A fan
    PS where can I get one of those t-shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. U couldnt have said it better! Totally agree, 100% REAL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree 10000000000000000000000% !!! love, love,love how you put it into perspective..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This realer then real queen. I see an respect your knowledge an wisdom. That's very sexy. I fucks wit this...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! I do NOT "Deserve" a ring !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AMEN....Damn... I DESERVE A RING... But I have patience...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeasssssssssss! You indeed broke it down My Dear! I truly needed this.. this reinsured me that in on the right track & to stay focused on my journey for preparing for MY KING! I too will remain single with a boyfriend & kid less... cause i "DESERVE" a ring by a man thats evenly yoked with me! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ME OR MY NIGGA DONT DESERVES A RING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely true. I know MANY women who tell themselves the lie of 'Iyou deserve. A ring'. I was engaged, started a little wedding preparation, and then things began to surface. Things I was very uncomfortable with. I was then about to finish my BS, and already on my career path. But I was NOT about to ignore some of the disrespect just bc of a ring. FUCK THAT! Im successful, loving, and truthful. If I can't be given the same back, I don't want you in my life. So Ms. Cutty, hats (or should I say weave lol) off to you for this. Maybe some confused women will take the hint.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kudos to you on this one! It's real, thought inspiring & down right to the point.. You have a way with words that I respect and admire. I think it, I verbalize it, but you write it and I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so on point ..especially the part of women wanting to win so bad they dont even consider the prize!!!!
    Trying to be a ride or die chick and in reality they a ride or dumb bitch ..
    i got my own shyt if u not adding to me u subtracting from my time, my money, my SHYT/peace of mind.. GTFOH
    I appreciate your Blog and post hopefully the lost bitches out there that read this will have a light bulb go off and get they shyt together...

    ReplyDelete
  18. U r the truth girl! I sooooo needed this today!!!#realtalk

    ReplyDelete
  19. *Round of Applause for this woman please*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well said Cutty.. I've been saying this for many many years.. And its sad that many men and women dont understand this.. And even when I have told men that I cant be with them b/c I have to get things within myself and life right they do not understand.. If I can not meet you half way then how can you expect me to even support you along the way??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cutty is the illest bitch ever i swear!!! i loved this shit, couldn't have said it better. Preach lady preach!! never looked at it like this until now! and i agree 1000%

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's very interesting that this has become the norm, while reading the beginning I too realized that "she deserves a ring" has become more of a hazing process versus being a postive courtship.... as a man I do believe that men will only do what women allow them to though, strong self esteem needs to be a priority with our daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This right here is serious!!!!! I DESERVE A RING!!!! Thank you for the confirmation curry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never really thought about that term until reading this. Now that I think about it i've actually referenced to it. I remember saying "he betta had married her after all he put her through"! Now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense. Or maybe it does looking at it in a different light, because if she was dumb enought to go through all that BS for a man then yeah maybe she does 'deserve that ring' after all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Damn Alex. This is the truth. As a dude women that I talk to can't seem to understand that I'm not looking to be your come up. I've worked hard for what I have I don't need you subtracting from me I want you adding to me. Can I pay your bills? Yes but I shouldn't HAVE to pay your bills. Me I'm 24 no kids, a job that pays well, live alone, have my own car and about to BUY a house as in no bank loans or financing. But I'm also the type that will run your bath water, hand you a glasd of wine and feed you soMe fruit. what I'm trying to say is I have a lot to offer. But what kills me is when women find that out they have their hands out. Can I get my hair and nails done? Can pay my phone bill? Can you can you can you? What do I get? What do you have to offer? What do you have to offer to get this ring? One of the most annoying questions I get asked is "why are you single?"

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cutty Aint TRU!! She cant handle REAL!! Walk the Talk!! You will chump otha muthafuckas bout posting they results...... Well post yo shit! Show a Nigga how Real you are!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am reading this and thinking... how this chick get into my head!?!?!?! WELL SAID

    ReplyDelete